DEATH NOTE: ONLINE Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to Roleplay: Its time to learn

2 posters

Go down

How to Roleplay: Its time to learn Empty How to Roleplay: Its time to learn

Post by Blue Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:25 am

How to Role Play
Its time to learn

Learning to role play is important to DNO. Failure to role play, or "RP", can cause trouble for you and annoys the Game Managers or even ruins the round.This is somewhat of a detailed role playing help guide. I'm going to break this down into categories and sub categories.

The Basics:

I will explain the "role play" verbs here.
How to Roleplay: Its time to learn I5t3rt

OOC:
OOC stands for "Out of Character". Anything you type into this chat box will be displayed for the entire server to see. Some common terms you may hear in the OOC chat are: "OOC"((Obviously...)) "ICly" and "DB". ICly, this means "In Character" usually pertaining to information that your character has obtained through interacting with others.You ARE NOT allowed to reveal any IC information in OOC. "DB" stands for death bot. I will explain the death bot as well as a few other terms in the recap.

Say and OOCSay:
The "Say" verb is exactly what it sounds like. It is an IC verb you use it to RP with other players in your view. This should be self explanatory. The OOCSay verb is a verb generally used to correct grammar and resolve an RP issue. When you use the OOCSay verb it means that you are saying something, not as your character, but as yourself.

Action:

This is where people mess up the most. This verb is to express something that you are actually doing. ie: Bokoa grabs a tissue and sneezes into it.Now the problem here is GODMODING. Godmoding is using the action verb to make another person do something or doing something that is physically impossible. For example: Bokoa grabs Kenji's arm and breaks it forcing him to his knees. or Bokoa jumps over Ganku and steals his gun from behind. Godmoding does not go over vary well with the players of DNO. ((Note: If you say that you can horizontally jump over someone I will hit you unless you prove it to me.)) Another important thing to do with the action verb is give reaction time. ie: Bokoa jumps at the man attempting to tackle him. At LEAST 10 seconds later: Bokoa successfully tackles the man. ((Assuming he didn't RP getting out of the way / physically move out of the way)).

Mug:
Ah the mug verb. It may be THE MOST hated verb in the DNO community. It can be a good verb if used correctly. Problems with this verb are all too common and I made this thread specifically to try to slim down the amount of NonRP Muggers. Now first of all using the say verb to say "IM GUNA MUG U!" is not RPing it. Neither is actioning: Muffintrays tries to mug Bokoa. If you are going to mug someone RPly ((People hate muggers by the way)) You have to do something along the lines of: Bokoa grabs Gabes arm, "U GIV ME $ NOW!". ((Please note: I used terrible grammar specifically so people wont just copy and paste this into their "Action" verb.))

Actual Game play:

Metagaming:

Metagaming is very common. To put it simply it is using information that you have not yet ICly obtained. For example if someone where to reveal who Kira was in OOC, you cannot go after that person unless you find an RP way to prove that he/she is Kira. When you begin the round you DO NOT know what a "Kira" or "L" or even an "M" is. You do however know what SakuraTV is. Now it may not seem like a big deal but you DO NOT know anybody's name until they tell you. It may not seem like much but it is a bit annoying. Ex. of what NOT to do: Bokoa walks up to Gabriell.((This part is fine, it is merely defining who you are interacting with))Bokoa says: "Hello Gabe." ((Now assuming that I hadn't met Gabe earlier on in the round this would be wrong, I should not ICly know his name yet.))

The weapons:
How to Roleplay: Its time to learn 2m4rpls
I feel like this needs to be addressed because I tend to see people whine that they were not RP-killed properly. I'll do bladed weapons first. You MUST RP unsheathing or pulling out your bladed weapon. When you action that you are going to attack someone you must ATTEMPT it at first, give reaction time, and then finish appropriately. ie: Either accepting missing or slicing the person. Now for guns. The only real difference is that after you RP pulling it out you have to RP aiming it as well.

Commonly Broken Rules:

Death Bot:
How to Roleplay: Its time to learn Aorygz
The death bot is essentially a GM for when all other GMs are offline. The death bot CAN however be used to do things such as Save or change your OOC color. The death bot can also do things such as voting to kick or mute a player. Those verbs are NOT to be used while GMs are online. It is considered DB abuse.

RKing:

How to Roleplay: Its time to learn 2u75d9x
RKing stands for "Random Killing". This means killing someone randomly ((obviously)) as well as not RPing it properly. RKing is very annoying to the GMs because its thier responsibility to sort it out.

Mug Spamming:
I won't say much on this because it goes back to the NonRP Mugging. It is pretty obvious what this is and not doing it should be common sense.

Random Searching:
How to Roleplay: Its time to learn Fm2mxh
I don't see this much anymore but I still feel it important to note. Again the description is in the title. If you want to search someone you simply have to come up with an RP reason to do it. And no "I THNK U R KIRA!" is not an RP reason. Also please note: People may refuse to be searched, it is foolish to assume that these people are Kira or M, some people simply react the way they would if some random person tried to search them.((Thank you to Jak Samhain for helping me with the "Random searching and RKing picture))

One last note. I threw this together quickly and I plan on adding more in the next few days.

Last edited by bokoa on Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:39 am; edited 3 times in total
Blue
Blue
Tier 2
Tier 2

Registration date : 2009-06-06

Back to top Go down

How to Roleplay: Its time to learn Empty Re: How to Roleplay: Its time to learn

Post by Admin Old Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:15 pm

CHECKERS YOU ARE AWESOME~
Stickying this topic.

Admin Old